Sunday, August 14, 2011

Haiku Art for August 2011 - Prompt Word is Journey

I had been thinking about the change that I made a couple of months ago to working full time on developing my art and wondering if this was something I should have done years ago.  Since making this decision I have been so energized.  Not only is creating art something that I WANT to do but I feel that it's something that I HAVE to do. I feel that I'm really in my element now.

Should I have done this i.e. made the switch - years ago?  I could write pages about why not but the short answer is - No.  Do I regret all the years spent doing other things?  Was the time wasted?  Absolutely not. 

And here's where the August prompt word makes its appearance in such a timely fashion.  The word is "Journey".  I thought of Life's Journey.   About how EVERYTHING that we do has an impact on us.  How everyone we meet leaves their mark.  How we may look at some events as distractions or detours from our chosen path but that ultimately all these experiences (positive or negative) contribute to who we are.  And often they equip us with the emotional skills that we need to forge ahead.  I have confidence now that I didn't have 20 years ago; I have certain practical skills to handle the business side of art; I have a sack full of life experiences to draw upon and I have gained perspective and understanding about what is important to me - especially at this time.


Here is the Haiku - Journey

detours? distractions?
unplanned stops, uneven road
part of the journey
 
 Techniques for "Journey"
  • color wash
  • random stamping using household utensils and distress ink 
  • road map collaged on
  • manila tag painted and overpainted with distress inks
  • attached to page with ribbon and brad
  • messages in ink on art paper applied randomly to tag and page.

No comments: